Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wandering Foot quilt block

Wandering Foot quilt block
February 5, 1933-"Colonial Boys Were Never Permitted to Sleep Under "Wandering Foot" Quilt" was the title of Nancy Cabot's Chicago Tribune column.  The superstition was that if a little boy slept under a Wandering Foot quilt, he may be afflicted with a "wandering foot" meaning it might incite them to run away from home.  "The name was changed to "Turkey Tracks" in the hopes that the curse would be lifted" she writes.  This quilt block had also been called Devil's Footprints and Aunt Dinah's Hunt at the time.

She says the pattern was originally a two color quilt but her pattern was for a three color quilt like my block.  I made a 6" finished block once again.  You can find the pattern here.



I found a wonderful tutorial at  Scrappy n Happy that explains in great detail how to sew this block so I thought no use reinventing the wheel.  It's for a larger block but it goes together exactly the same anyway and it's exactly how I made mine before I even found the tutorial!!

This block can be found as #3100 in Electric Quilt and BlockBase.

Here are the blocks for the week-

Pinwheels
Old English
Flower Garden
Windmill
Snowball




Odd Fellows Cross



Rob Peter to Pay Paul




     Tomorrow-Barrister's Block

2 comments :

  1. This is a gorgeous block -- I loved making it, although it's tricky at this small scale...and mine came up 1/4" small :( I'm keeping it even though it's imperfect and I'm going to do some cheating with sashing (!). Here's mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48854966@N04/ Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! I printed and measured the PDF, it came out 5 3/8 inch large. I enlarged it with 116,6 percent, then it was a perfect 6-inch-block
    :)

    ReplyDelete