Saturday, February 16, 2013

Chimney Swallow quilt block

Chimney Swallow quilt block
February 16, 1933-  Nancy Cabot published the Chimney Swallow quilt pattern in her Chicago Tribune column.  She says it dates back to early pioneer days in Kentucky. Her other comments on this block really make no sense to me.  She says, "Are you reminded of the little log cabins with the big broad stone chimneys and the old fashioned wood burning fireplaces?"  I don't see what she was seeing evidently.

Her block was also done in only two colors as shown below and I think the color placement is odd.
Nancy Cabot's Chimney Swallow








So I did my own thing with the block and this is another one of the patterns that I had to draft by hand.  I like the way it turned out even if it does look like my center doesn't match at all!  It looks worse in the picture than it really is but I should probably unsew and try to make it look better. The templates can be found here.  The basic sewing steps are shown below.






Tomorrow- David and Goliath

3 comments :

  1. Where can I find this pattern?
    Thanks for any help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the link in the sentence above the second photo that says,"The templates can be found here." So, just click on the word here.

      Delete
  2. I love this quilt block. Thank you for the template. Did you make yours as a paper foundation pieced block?

    ReplyDelete