Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Swallow's Flight quilt block

Swallow's Flight
December 28, 1933-Swallow's Flight is the name of the quilt pattern published by Nancy Cabot today in her Chicago Tribune column.

Her column read as follows, "A quilt of this pattern has the appearance of a flock of birds in flight. It might well be considered a modern quilt, so strikingly simple is the design. It is tremendously effective as a whole. Swallow's Flight may be pieced in prints or plain colors, or both. It is a type of pattern that allows every quiltmaker the opportunity of showing originality in color combinations and arrangement."

I have not been able to find any additional information on this quilt design. I think it looks modern even today!




I decided to paper piece my 6" block because of the odd angles. It is a very easy block to make. Here are the parts of my pattern-


The pieces get sewn together like shown in the two photos below-



You can download my pattern here. The Swallow's Flight design makes an interesting quilt when set on the diagonal like shown below.


Tomorrow-Rose of Le Moyne

1 comment :