Monday, March 4, 2013

Square and Compass quilt block

Square and Compass
March 4, 1933-"Blue, White Quilt Carries Traditions of Seagoing Folk" was the title of Nancy Cabot's column today.  She was talking about the  Square and Compass design which "originated in a little fishing village in Maine."  It is also the symbol of the Masonic Fraternity she says.  It can be found in Electric Quilt's BlockBase program as #2366.

Nancy's drawing of this block showed it as a two color block placing the blue where I have it in my block but the white was not only used where I have used it but was used as the background.  That doesn't make sense to me so I changed the background to a print fabric as you can see.  I used the blue and white as she suggested but added the little nautical print  to keep with the theme of the original block.





This block is a little challenging at the six inch size that I made.  It's not impossible but the small curves take some time and patience.  Here is how I put the parts together-

Basic pieces of the block
One-fourth of the block
Half of the block











The block is made of four identical sections.  You can download the templates here.

Tomorrow-Sunburst

No comments :

Post a Comment