Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Battle of the Alamo quilt block

Battle of the Alamo
March 26, 1933-"Battle of Alamo" Quilt Pattern Was Designed by Texan in 1836 was the title of Nancy Cabot's column presenting the Battle of the Alamo quilt block.  It was the second in her series of  "quilt patterns commemorating famous American historical events."  She also presented the blocks from the week so readers would get another chance to buy the patterns for "five cents in stamps or coin."

I used a combination of methods to make this block.  The two nine patch blocks are made from 1 1/2" squares.  If my scraps would have allowed it, I would have strip pieced the blocks to save time.

To make the other two blocks, I cut a 3 7/8"square of fabric on the diagonal to get the large side of the blocks. To make the half square triangle blocks, I used paper piecing.  To me it's just faster and you can use up weird size scraps.  To get the templates, go here.



Here are the basic units of the block.  The upper corner shows the 2 paper pieced units and the lower corner shows those 2 units sewn together.








Below are the four sections completed.  Sew the four together and you are done!



Tomorrow- Rolling Star

1 comment :

  1. This is great. I don't remember seeing this one before.

    ReplyDelete