Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tiger Lily quilt block

Tiger Lily
March 6, 1933- Nancy Cabot published the Tiger Lily quilt block in her Chicago Tribune article on this day.  She says it originated in the pioneer days and "was pieced of red, yellow, and green prints on a cream background-unusually colorful in the days of it's origin when dingy browns and lifeless grays were used in such abundance."  She thought that it was due to an effort by pioneer wives to add brightness to their "rough surroundings."

This is definitely an applique block.  The pieces are not tiny even at the 6" size block that I made.  Since the block is on the diagonal, the pieces are more like the size of an 8" block.  I did raw edge applique and fused the pieces in place for the sample for this blog but if I decide to use the block in my sampler quilt, I will stitch along the edges of the pieces.  You can download the templates here.

Tomorrow-Philadelphia Pavement

I'm looking for people to make some of the blocks for the posts.  If you have a blog or website, you can promote it on this blog when posting about the block that you made.  If you are interested, please email me for more info.

No comments :

Post a Comment