Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Priscilla Alden quilt block

Priscilla Alden
March 12, 1933-The Priscilla Alden quilt block "is becoming increasingly popular with the young moderns of this generation" wrote Nancy Cabot about this quilt block eighty years ago.  Priscilla Alden was one of the Pilgrims that came over on the Mayflower making this a very old block though I can't say that I have ever seen it. Nancy says this block "connotates all that is prim and dainty, simple and charming."  She shows the outer circles as being made of just two print fabrics that are alternated with the two center circles being made of solid fabrics.

This applique block was very easy for me to make because I have an Accuquilt Go cutter and a circle die to go with it.  The circles have a 2" diameter which I have on my circle die.  If you plan to hand applique the circles, they would need to be cut at 2 1/2" instead.  The little circle in the very center is only 1" across or 1 1/2" for hand applique.  A diagram for placing your pieces can be found here.  As with the Butterfly block from yesterday, I plan to buttonhole stitch the edges.

Here are the blocks from the past week-
Tiger Lily

Rolling Stone

Philadelphia Pavement

Poinsettia

Fifty-Four Forty or Fight

Butterfly


Tomorrow-Seven Sisters

No comments :

Post a Comment