Monday, March 11, 2013

Butterfly quilt block

Butterfly
March 11, 1933-"Butterflies Flit Brightly Across Colorful Quilt" was the title of Nancy Cabot's column today introducing the Butterfly block.  I have seen plenty of old quilts with this block design!

Nancy wrote that each appliqued butterfly "is made of a different combination of prints and plain fabrics."  She shows in her line drawing that the top wings are to be made of prints and the bottom two wings are made of solid fabrics.  she also said to join the blocks "with strips of print or color and surround them with a dainty border of harmonizing prints."  I think this would be a great quilt!

I used raw edge applique and fused the pieces in place in this six inch block.  I  plan to use a buttonhole stitch around the edges of the block before I use it in my sampler quilt.  You can get the templates here.  If you want a larger block, just enlarge it on a copier.




I have an idea that I would like to make the block bigger and make a whole scrappy quilt of it.  I think it is the perfect block for using up scraps.  I have four little granddaughters that I think would love this block.  I guess this is another one for my bucket list!

Tomorrow-Priscilla Alden


1 comment :

  1. Love the block. Looks like a good way to use up scraps. Gotta try today.

    ReplyDelete